The church, known as Christ Church, was founded in 1891 as Haydock Congregational Church and has served the local community since that time. The money to build the church was given by Miss Evans, a member of the local mine owning family. Congregational churches amalgamated with the Presbyterian churches and other denominations to form The United Reformed Churches; therefore Christ Church now carries the title United Reformed Haydock.
Christ Church, Haydock at present has a congregation of over 70 people who worship on a regular basis as a church Family. At the moment, we are in an interregnum period as our previous minister has retired.
In 2001, due to the poor condition of the church fabric, we were faced with a stark choice. The church meeting decided unanimously that we should try to update the church buildings and continue our policy of being a community church. In fact, it was agreed that we would go even further and turn our Sunday School buildings into a community centre, now known as The Four C’s, to ensure that the locality benefited fully from having the best facilities that we could offer.
Since then we have completely revamped the buildings, and have set up a community centre catering for Haydock and beyond. So here at Christ Church we go forward to meet the challenges of the world with confidence. And we take the Good News to the whole community.